The Official SPACE blog

Monday, March 3, 2008

News From SPACE



And SPACE 2008 is in the history books, but this blog shall continue.
In fact, the real work is only truly beginning.
Over the next few days, I'll be sharing with you my SPACE experience, including the copious amount of photographs I took over the course of the two day event, as well as video of the Day Prize presentation. I'm also in the process of actually reading the many comics I picked up at the show, including new releases from Jay Hosler, Greg Hyland, Pam Bliss, Kel Crum, Brian Canini, and many others, and I'll be telling you about the best of them in coming days and possibly weeks.
Today, we'll cover the headlines:
The two big stories from SPACE this year both revolve around Guest of Honor Dave Sim--his presentation of the Howard Eugene Day Memorial Prize and the much anticipated unveiling of "Secret Project #1".
That no longer so secret project is called Judenhass (the word is, according to Sim, German for "Jew Hatred"), a one-shot graphic novel about the Holocaust, inspired by the sixtieth anniversary, in 2005 of the liberation of Auschwitz. Dave had the original art for the project, as well as preview copies of the published work. The art, I must say, is beautiful. Whatever else you may think of Dave Sim, it must be agreed that the man can draw.
Judenhass should be in comics shops in May. (I actually should say "will" instead of "should", since Dave has always made a point of shipping his comics on schedule.)
The Day Prize for 2007 went to, and this was hardly a surprise, Matt and Carol Dembicki for Mr. Big. Matt's been nominated one or two times before, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.
Well, those are the quick headlines. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment